This week has been tough. Our dog Honey has gone blind. We found out last month that she has diabetes, which we now have under control with two insulin shots a day. The vet told us that she would probably lose her sight in the next year, but it just happened a lot sooner than we expected. It has been really hard to watch her try to learn her way around the house, bumping into things as she goes along. I am sure she is confused since her sight seemed to go overnight, but she uses her sense of smell to get around and is still using the doggie doors. It is amazing what animals can teach you. She never complains and is still happy and wags her tail even when she is bumping into a piece of furniture or getting a shot. She also likes to know where we are and can follow our voices or footsteps to find us. From what I have read, dogs can adapt easily to loss of sight, usually much better than their owners.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
So sorry she has gone blind so fast! She has had a hard life from the start but your right she is always a happy girl. It helps she has a great home to take good care of her!!
I'm sorry about Honey! I hope that Spike is learning to get out of the way. I'm sure a few more times getting stepped on and she figured it out.
Jake and I are so sorry to hear about Honey. We are really glad she is still happy and wagging her tail. She is very lucky to have you both as parents. Give her a hug for us.
I remember when she would be in the front yard and see me at my house. I would call to her, she would wag her tail, but she was smart enough to not race across the street. Lori would give her the ok and then she would come barreling across the street to see me. I miss those days.
Post a Comment